Monday, January 25, 2010

Healing

After all that happened in the last three months, everything I went through, I'm finally healing now. I can tell.

This birthday was different in so many ways. I was at LUMS for the Young Leaders Entrepreneurial Summit. Away from my mum and my friends, I thought I'd be very depressed. But that's not how it worked out.

This one week away from home, surrounded by strangers, I became myself again. I laughed and I cried, I did all sorts of crazy things, and I enjoyed every single moment. No one knew me, no one knew who I was or what I had been through. So they took me at face value. And I could be who I wanted to be. Young and carefree. Not the steady, responsible one.

I have so much to be thankful for. So what if life changed. So what if some of those dreams can not come through. I have a lot to live for. I made so many new friends. I presented, and thrived on the praise I received for my work. I loved every single moment of it. I felt alive.

I realized that "us" did not define "me". I can still be whoever I want to be. I can still be more than a failed relationship.

I also realized that I have the best, most supportive friends ever. They gave me one surprise after the other, making my birthday truly memorable. And when I cried, they hugged me close, and made me laugh again.

On one of those long crazy walks back to the girls hostel, through the thick fog in the middle of the night, I believe I finally let go.

4 comments:

Abdullah Tariq said...

Happy belated birthday. (:

Nice post! :D

Abdullah Tariq said...

Where are you? o_O

Meenah said...

Thank you, both of you! =]

Sorry, I was a little lost for a while, but I'll put in a post soon. And I won't go away again, Inshallah. =]

Abdullah Tariq said...

YAY :D :)