Thursday, December 10, 2009

Regrets

I'm never going to regret anything. I decided that a long long time ago.

Winning and losing in life is all in our own minds. It has to do with being content in our own skin; being satisfied with what we have, what we've done, who ever we've become. Two people exactly in the same positions (which is impossible, but hypothetically speaking) will have different ideas, different beliefs about whether or not they achieved that elsuive "something".

That "something" that, in the end, justifies our life.

To be satisfied, at any point in your life, it's important to not have regrets. And that is what I'm aiming for. I refuse to wallow in self pity, wondering where I went wrong, enumerating the "what-if"s and "what could have been"s. I'm not going to "try to forget" like everyone is always telling me to.

I've told my self, in no uncertain terms, that whatever choices I have made and will make, what ever decisions I took and will take, I'm going to take full responsibility for them. And I'm not going to regret a single moment.

Because with the bad are the good memories. When you look back with regret because of all the things that went wrong, you're belittling all the good that came about.

The bad memories are winning, and you're the only loser.

When I was about fourteen, my great grandfather died. He was more than a hundred years old. On our way back home, my father sighed and said "well, that's another story closed". That got me thinking.

To me, it's like every person has a book of their own. And in this book, every person this person comes in contact with, throughout their life, has a chapter. This chapter may be short and simple, or convoluted and lengthy. But it encaptures every angle of their relationship, every shade.

And when comes the time to part, be it due to death, or in life, that chapter is closed. But it’s always there, for us to leaf through when the mood hits. It’s always there to remind us of all the people who shaped our lives and made us who we are. It’s always there, with the hurts and the joy, our private time machine.

At the end of our life, He’s going to end our story, put an end to our book. Perhaps file it into His library, already chock full of old books, lives gathering dust.

But while we're alive, I think we should go back often, reading through our life, to revisit our old friends.

And regret not a word.

5 comments:

Ally said...

I am getting a feeling that you are an AMAZING person!
Love your blog,will keep coming back for more.
I remember that drama you were in. It was amazing.I was barely 8 at that time but I remember it quite well.I used to love you. Can't believe its really you.
Good old days *sigh*

hassan said...

I like the approach and the u put it……don’t take regrets rather lessons from the past……..mistakes are not something to be afraid of…we are bound to commit them as Allah has made us and this whole system like this……….He loves us the most when we commit a sin and then realize what we did wrong and why, and ask for forgiveness from Him and that is how life goes …… if totally not committing mistakes would have been what He wanted then weren’t angels already there for that……….but He made us and gave us a free will to decide between right and wrong……and He made ‘nafs’ and ‘sheetan’……..who will always bother us, one of them with giving rise to the animal/material instincts of greed, selfishness and shortsightedness etc inside us and the other exploiting such feelings together with all the wrong thoughts to make us go to the extremes and make us off-balance e.g. anger is something very natural which your nafs will give rise to but sheetan will try to exploit this feeling first by trying to give us such thoughts to make the intensity of this feeling more than required and then by bringing bad thoughts to commit stupid things in that state……and as we are already vulnerable in that state and we don’t understand how sheetan is playing with our mind so we fall for the trap……………..and that is why the approach of trying to run away from sheetan and the bad thoughts never works because they are always there, because Allah Mian has made them for this purpose, and He has given us ‘aqal’ at the same time as well and has asked us that if we use that(i.e. we make informed decisions) and keep asking for His guidance than nothing can go wrong and that’s the only way to true success…….. and He has told us that He will always forgive us for anything apart from Shirq…..so than why to be afraid of mistakes ………they are there to teach the most important lessons which will help achieve true success……. Rather than being afraid of them and regretting, we need to understand how sheetan and our nafs work so that next time they try to play with us we already know the rules of the game and strategy of the enemy………………so ‘take lessons not regrets’….:-)

Abdullah Tariq said...

It's impossible to live a life without regrets. It's hard to not make mistakes.
I've been told not to think about the "what ifs". All we can do is try not to make the same mistakes again. Life's too short for that. We forget we have to leave.
:[

Great post. :]

Meenah said...

Thank you, Ally. That's really sweet of you! And yes, long time. Almost eleven years now. =]

I agree completely, Hassan. =)

Uglyducky, it's all in th head. If you decide you'll live without regrets, you can. Or so I keep telling myself =D

Memory Keeper said...

I get stronger every time I leaf through mine.

Not regretting a word.