Thursday, November 14, 2013

Shaam Dhallay



Aaj tanhai kisi humdum'e deirien ki tarah
Karnay aai hai meri saaki qari shaam dhallay
Muntazir baithay hain hum dono ke mahtaab ubhray
Aur tera aks jhalaknay lagay har saaey ta'lay...

I played hundreds of games of solitaire, because I could not sleep. I could deal with the days. I could deal with the worries and the self doubt and the pity - I could survive the days. It's the nights that I couldn't get through. 

At night, when the world is quite, silence pushes you to remember and analyze and think and question. The feeling of loss is intensified by solitude. In the dark, my present melts away to leave only static, and pieces of the past. The future mocks me. I am not so sure of myself in this dark, not as certain of my fate. I miss you.    


Loneliness, like a companion of old
Visits me, as the sun sets, to pour my wine; 
We sit together, waiting for the moon to rise 
And for your image to reflect in every shadow

                                                                                                                             Faiz Ahmed Faiz

No comments: